Enhance formatting on menu sub-items

Support Area Forums Umami Enhance formatting on menu sub-items

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
URL to the page in question: http://lagrangehouston.com/wordpress/menu/drinks/
  • Author
    Fred Rogers
    Participant

Howdy. Is it possible to enhance the formatting for food menu “sub-items” to force spaces or indents and lines between sub-segments? I’ve tried inserting blank spaces and using the tab key for the indenting and hitting the return key and shift-return to force lines. I’d like the wine section to appear like this instead of being all together:

White
    2013 Jade Mountain Chardonnay 8
    2014 La Fiera Pinot Grigio 7
    2014 Cape Mentelle Sauvignon Blanc 9

Rosé
    2013 Orin Swift Skin Deep Rosé 8

Red
    2013 Light Horse Pinot Noir 8
    2013 Uppercut Cabernet Sauvignon 9
    2011 Velvet Crush Red Blend 7

Wine menu subject to change.

Thank you!

Bill Robbins

Hi Fred,

I believe you can do that. You’ll want to install and activate a plugin called Advanced Excerpt (https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/). It’ll let you use HTML in your food items descriptions.

You can enter a space in using this bit of HTML:

(See code on support site.)

You could place a few of those where you need to make a space on the left. See if that doesn’t work for you.

Let me know if you run into trouble,
    Bill

Fred Rogers
    Participant

Trouble I did indeed run into. I installed it and went to start editing but checked that food menu again to see if anything I’d already done had stuck yet. Unfortunately what I discovered is that installing Advanced Excerpts cancelled display of the descriptions of all of my items in each menu group, although the original material is still in place on the editing side. If I uninstall that plug-in, will my descriptions go back to normal? Thanks, Bill.

Bill Robbins

It’ll go back to normal. I don’t believe you’ll be able to indent the text though. Sorry about that.

Fred Rogers
    Participant

Not a problem. Including the spaces and indentations isn’t necessary, just something that would have made it a little easier to read. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Bill Robbins

Wish I had better news. I hate telling people there’s not a way to do something.

Bill

Fred Rogers
    Participant

It is odd, though, and makes me wonder why that plug-in jacked all the descriptions. Ahhh well, the mysteries of the internet for those of us who have no idea what we’re doing. 😉

Bill Robbins

I just gave it a try on my local copy of the theme demo and it seems like it works there. Here’s a screenshot of me adding five spaces to the description of this item.

You might try turning the plugin back on and disabling all others and see if it works then. If it does, you can turn the others on, one by one until it stops working. That’ll let us know where the conflict is.

Fred Rogers
    Participant

Thanks. No luck. I deactivated all of the other ones except for Category Order and Taxonomy Terms Order and also Simple Page ordering, because I need to keep those activated, and then re-activated Advanced Excerpt and the disappearing descriptions issue returned. I’ll just keep it the way it is for now. The client didn’t request the change; I was just trying to spruce it up a bit before I post it. Thanks again for trying, though!

Fred Rogers
    Participant

Same template but different topic, so feel free to ask me to start another ticket. I just talked another client into an OT template and they also want to use Umami. She is, however, adamant about being able to use the typeface Papyrus for their food menus. See .pdf below. Is it possible to import a typeface for use on a template? Thank you, sir.

http://costabravabistro.com/images/Costa-Brava-Bistro-dinner-menu-July2015.pdf

Bill Robbins

It does have a pretty large installed base (70%+ windows and 90%+ mac) so most people could see it even if you didn’t add it via a service. But to make sure that everyone sees the same thing, you’ll need to use a web font service.

It’s a commercial font, so you’ll need to license it from a company like fonts.com (https://www.myfonts.com/fonts/linotype/papyrus/). I believe they work via a subscription. You’ll add some javascript to the header of the theme. You can then add the font via CSS and your visitors will be able to make use of it, even if it’s not installed on their computer.

If you go that route and need help adding in the font, open up a new topic and I’ll show you how to add the code.

Bill

Fred Rogers
    Participant

NICE! Once again I appreciate your help so much. I’ll let her know.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The topic ‘Enhance formatting on menu sub-items’ is closed to new replies.