duplicating layout of Forward demo

Support Area Forums Forward duplicating layout of Forward demo

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://http://parkinsonsfitness.org/2016/
  • Author
    Jennifer Gonyea
    Participant

Hi Bill,

I am trying to duplicate the clean layout of the Forward theme demo. Here is what I’m getting tripped up on:

1. how can I create a “donate” box in the footer area, as you did with or without the bar of $ raised – we just need a button and area for text

2. I want to link our “News” page to the front (instead of newsletter), showing a snippet from the latest news article. I was able to pull the “feed” from the already established news feed but its pulling the entire story.

Jen – the link is to the demo site you set up for me yesterday

Bill Robbins

Hi Jennifer,

Good questions. Items that are placed in the footer sidebar will appear on every page in the footer. Are you looking to have all of those widgets on every page? If you want any of them to only appear on the home page, place those widgets in the home page sidebar instead. The theme demo, doesn’t actually have any widgets in the footer area.

For the news. It looks like instead of having each article as a separate post, all of the content is in the same page. What I would suggest doing is creating a post category for your news. Make each article a separate post and assign it to that category.

Then you can use the featured post widget to display posts from just that category. It’s also possible to add that category directly to your navigation menu. That will give you a “page” (really an archive) of all of your news articles. That would the best way to handle the news section.

Let me know about the footer vs. home page widgets and we’ll go from there.

Thanks,
    Bill

Jennifer Gonyea
    Participant

thanks, I’m interested in only having the facebook widget, donate widget and news widget on the front page.

I think I figured out how to move them but still unsure how to set up the donate box to look more like the Forward template and I’m a little unclear about the news posts?

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Jennifer,

For the donations, Forwards includes an extension for the WooCommerce shopping cart plugin that lets you collect funds towards a goal. It tracks the progress of that and it’s widget is shown in the demo.

If you’re not needing the graph to track progress towards a goal, then I would skip that and just stick with using PayPal.

In the text widget there, you can replace the PayPal donate code with a “shortcode” for donations that’s part of the theme. It’ll still send users to PayPal for donations. If you’d like to use it, add this to your text widget:

[donate-paypal label="Button Text" email="yourpaypalemail@email.com" for="Donation Text"]

It’s totally optional and works basically like what there now. It’ll just use a button like the theme has instead of the default PayPal one.

For the news section, I’m suggesting that use WordPress’ posts instead of a page. You won’t be able to automatically have a section of a page appear on your home page, but you can do that with posts.

In your WordPress dashboard, go to the posts section and click on categories. Add one for news. Then instead of adding a date and text for each “article” in your news page, create a separate post for each article and then assign those posts to the news category that you created.

After that you can add a featured post widget to the home page. It has an option to let you choose a category of posts to display. Select news from that option and save your widget. Now any time you need to create a news article, just make a new post and assign it to the news category. Once it’s published, it will appear on the home page automatically for you.

Take care,
    Bill

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘duplicating layout of Forward demo’ is closed to new replies.