Different way to display Testimony entries

Support Area Forums Elite Different way to display Testimony entries

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: http://digitalprint.paulcato.com/home/testimonials/
  • Author
    Paul Cato
    Participant

Hi Bill,
    Keeping you busy, sorry!

I’d like to have Testimony entries to be laid out, in full, on one normal page. Is there a way to use the Testimony widgets in a different way? I wouldn’t need any rotation for this. I could just make a page filled with text widgets, but if it was possible to enter the testimonies in the Testimony section that is already there, and then pull those to one page it would be good.

I was thinking that maybe I’d end up with testimonies entered one below the other, contained in a page width, or side-by-side in two or three columns. I would prefer the columns, I think.

Currently in the Testimony widgets there is an icon (speech mark) but the top one gets clipped on the top edge. I would like to still have an icon like this, if possible, but without being clipped.

Also, I would also prefer to have the person’s name at the top, if possible. I also need a link to their website at the bottom of each testimonial (same as can already be done). If this must remain on the bottom, that’s OK.

I’ll probably not have too many testimonials so if this seems too complicated for the actual benefit just tell me.
    Cheers,
    Paul

Bill Robbins

Hi Paul,

Excellent question there. The testimony widget wasn’t really created with the idea of making a page full of them to display multiple testimonies at once.

What we really need is a page template for that. I just pushed out an update to the theme that adds a page template called “Testimony List.” It’ll display all of your testimonies in one list. I did move the name to the top as well. The update should appear in the updates section of your WordPress dashboard soon.

See if that works for you and let me know if you have any questions.

Take care,
    Bill

Paul Cato
    Participant

Thanks, Bill. That’s a great idea!

Did you mean for that to still be used with the Testimony Widget? If that’s the case it might need an optional version widget for this – maybe. What happens is that there is a duplicate testimony that still remains at the top, in the old format with the name at the bottom, and a narrower column width.

But the other testimonies are fine on the page layout and can be easily placed in the right order back in the individual testimony section, so they look great.

I’ll attach an capture of what I currently have. Note the duplicates. The clipping at the top of the top icon is how it appears on the page too, BTW.

Attachments:
    Bill Robbins

Good question. Sorry I wasn’t clear about that. Use the page template and not the testimony widget. You would use the testimony widget in spots where you need a single, random testimony.

I would take out the widget from the content area on the list page. The ones outside of the page builder plugin don’t appear to be cropping and they should lay out full width like the ones below. If you do need to use one of the widgets inside the page builder, you may need to change the padding on that widget in the widget options to keep the quotation mark in view.

If you need to change the order of the widgets, I would use the simple page ordering plugin. It lets you order pages (and other items) via drag and drop.

See how that works for you.

Bill

Paul Cato
    Participant

OK, that still had me mystified for a while but I think I’ve got it now.

All I need now is an empty page and to then select the Testimony List Format. The empty page is automatically populated by the Testimonies – but this occurs in the background without anything showing up in the page editor at all.

And if I want I can use Page Builder there too (still with no widget or any additional thing).

Any additional text such as a title can be typed direct into the editing page, or into Page Builder.

Thanks, Bill! Good work!
    Paul

Bill Robbins

Hi Paul,

Sorry for not explaining that well at all. This page template has a spot for content at the top. You could use the page builder there if you like or enter content directly into the content area of the WordPress editor. You can also leave it empty if you’d like.

Below that will be a list of your sponsors. It will automatically show all published sponsors in a list. These won’t show up inside the editor window though they’ll be on the front end of the site.

See how that works out,
    Bill

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Different way to display Testimony entries’ is closed to new replies.