crop settings and homepage content

Support Area Forums Curator crop settings and homepage content

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Scott Lamlein
    Participant

Hi Bill:

I’m wondering two things:

1. Are the crop settings adjustable? I have photos that are both portrait/landscape, for which Curator was an easy sell to my photographer client. When I simply add the photos, without resizing in photoshop, the portrait images are all cropped. What do you advise?

2. Are widgets the only way to get text on the lower part of the homepage? No page content area?

http://www.dev.premierportraits.net/collection/front/

Thanks much,
    Scott

Bill Robbins

Scott,

Great question. You can edit the cropping settings that the theme uses to determine the picture sizes. Here’s how to get to them:

1. Go to the appearance section and select edit to open up the theme editor
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php
    3. Look for this spot:

// Featured Images section
      if (function_exists(‘add_theme_support’)) {
      add_theme_support(‘post-thumbnails’);
      add_image_size(‘collection’, 780, 520, true);
      add_image_size(‘full’, 940, 900, true);
      add_image_size(‘avatar’, 75, 75, true);
      add_image_size(‘avatar-large’, 125, 125, true);
      }

The “collection” size above controls the home page and archive page sizes. The 780 here is the width and the 520 is the height. The true controls whether or not the image is hard cropped or scaled. You can delete the true (and the comma before it) so it looks like (‘collection’,780, 520); to cause the images to not be hard cropped. There is an article in the WordPress Codex about the image sizes at http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/add_image_size

4. For images that are in portrait orientation, if you’ll size them to be 520 pixels high, they will be completely visible without cropping in the theme as it is before editing.
    5. Save your changes

Widget are the only way to add content to the home page without editing the theme. If you’d like to add content from a page to the home page, you could do that. Here’s how.

1. In the theme editor, select the footer.php file
    2. Just above <div id=”footer-left”> paste this:

3. Now create a page called home (don’t add it to your navigation though). Any content you add to this page will be visible below the widgets on the home page. I haven’t tried this so I’m not exactly certain how the styling will be, but it’s probably the easiest way to add content there on the home page only.

If I can help anymore, just let me know.

Scott Lamlein
    Participant

Hi Bill:
    This is all very helpful, thanks! Before I start editing the theme, however, you mentioned that an update would be forthcoming. Is that soon?

Thanks again,
    Scott

Bill Robbins

Good thought. I had a idea to make the portfolio section easier to use, especially for photographers while working on an update to Bottega. It’s delayed me just a bit, but I’m still hoping to wrap it up this week.

Bill Robbins

If you’d like to try out the update you can find it at:

https://support.organizedthemes.com/samples/curator.zip

I haven’t had a chance to update the documentation, but the essential changes involve the portfolio set-up. Now instead of adding each image separately and grouping them together in catalogs, you can create a portfolio and then add multiple image directly to it. Every image you add will be displayed in that portfolio. You can directly add the portfolios to your navigation too.

To add images to the home page, there is now a radio selector that appears after you upload an image that lets you select if it will be on your home page. Just choose yes and it will appear there.

IF you run into any trouble let me know.

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Hello Bill:

This is probably something extremely simple but I can’t find any info on it
    in the forums or WordPress. Ok, basically I want to use the same page template
    for a number of different pages, (i.e., the default template for my “About Us” page,
    “What’s New” page, etc.).

If I understand correctly, you can just drag the Text Widget(s) into the sidebar area of a page template and you’re all set. My question: How do I enter DIFFERENT CONTENT in the text widgets on different pages? When I’m in the Edit Page area, should there be a place where I can enter content into the text widgets?

I hope this makes sense. Thanks for your help!

(By the way, I’m using the Foundation Theme, v1.1.1)

Bill Robbins

Jon,

You can do that with a plugin called Widget Logic that lets you specify which page the widget is displayed on. It uses WordPress conditional tags to set when the widget is visible.

You could add something like this into the widget logic box:

is_single( 'About' )

to cause that widget to be visible only on the page named “About.”

That’s probably the easiest way to have the flexibility you’re looking for.

If you need anything else, let me know.

Jon Gilgoff
    Participant

Thanks Bill, that worked perfectly!!

Bill Robbins

Glad to hear it. Let me know if you need anything else.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘crop settings and homepage content’ is closed to new replies.