Countdown in header + fixed widget sizes

Support Area Forums Progress Countdown in header + fixed widget sizes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Ben Rogers
    Participant

Hi Bill,

Thanks for creating a nice streamlined theme, just a couple of questions:

I’m fairly new to wordpress and css, but can follow the coding easy enough but need a bit of help on these things:

If this falls into the ‘custom coding’ category – just let me know.

1. Is it possible to embed a countdown plugin in the header – after the logo space?

2. Is it possible to drop the gap between header / menu / slide to a more minimal distance? (It looks like padding left for the tag line feature?)
    Eg I’d like the menu section to sit within a few pixels of the top of the slide.

3. Is there a way to fix the size of widgets on the home page or guarantee that two placed together don’t move over to the next column and cause the other widgets to spill below?

(If this one doesn’t make sense let me know and I’ll do my best to explain over email)

4. Is there a way to turn the heading of a text widget into a page link on a specific widget only?
    Eg – I have a ‘current location’ text widget that uses wp-gpx-maps to display a single GPX map but would like that to link to a page showing more map content?

Again thanks for creating the theme so far it’s been awesome and easy to use, look forward to hearing from you.

Bill Robbins

Ben,

Thank you for your business first of all. Let’s see if we can find answers to your questions.

Countdown Widget

It is possible to add in a countdown timer. The tricky part is most of the countdown plugins for WordPress are widget based. To use one of those by your logo you’ll need to create a “sidebar” area in your header. Here’s how to do that:

1. Go to the Appearance section and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php
    3. Scroll down to the bottom and paste this:

// Add Header Sidebar	
      	function header_widget_area_add() {

register_sidebar( array(
      			'name' => __('Header Sidebar', 'organizedthemes'),
      			'id'   =>  'sidebar-header',
      			'description' => __('This sidebar only appears in the header', 'organizedthemes'),
      			'before_widget' => '
      ', 'after_widget' => '
      ', 'before_title' => '

', 'after_title' => '

' ) ); } add_action( 'init', 'header_widget_area_add' );
    4. Save your changes.
    5. Next edit the header.php file.
    6. Right above this line:

<?php wp_nav_menu( array( 'theme_location' => 'primary', 'container' => 'nav' ) ); ?>

paste this:

7. Save your changes.

That will create a new widget area (sidebar) located inside your header. It will display above the navigation and below the logo. You may want to position it a bit differently since there’s no styling built into the theme for it. Once you add it, let me know and I’ll be glad to move it around for you.

You can then use a WordPress plugin with a countdown widget to display it at the top of your site. The T(-) plugin has been used a good bit, but the styling can be a bit over the top.

Decrease Navigation Gap

You can decrease the space between the navigation and the slider. Go to the Theme Options page and select the Styling tab. At the top, make sure to select “yes” to include custom styling.

The scroll down to the Custom CSS box and paste this:

header.primary nav,
    #tagline h2, 
    #tagline p {
    	margin-bottom: 0px;
    }

and update your settings. That will change the distance from 10 pixels to zero. If you’d like to make it even closer, you can use a negative bottom margin to pull the slider closer. That would look something like this:

header.primary nav,
    #tagline h2, 
    #tagline p {
    	margin-bottom: -10px;
    }

Set Widget Size

It is possible to set a size for your home page widgets. Say you’d like all the widgets on the home page to have a specific height so they form a neat grid. To do that, you would paste this in the Custom CSS box:

aside.home-widgets .widget {
    	height: 400px;
    }

That will set the height of the home page widgets to be 400 pixels tall. You can adjust that value to a different number if you’d like to.

If you have something different in mind there, let me know and I’ll cook something else up there for you.

Make Any Widget Title A Link

Good question about making the widget titles links. There is a plugin called Widget Title Links that I believe adds a new field to your widgets that lets you add a link to the title. I haven’t tried it before, but if it works, that would be the easiest solution for you.

I hope that helps out. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Thanks and have a great week,
    Bill

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Countdown in header + fixed widget sizes’ is closed to new replies.