Can't delete old theme

Support Area Forums Epic Can't delete old theme

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
URL to the page in question: www.connectstudents.org
  • Author
    Chris West
    Participant

I love the theme. I actually came here looking for a way to add an instagram account to the contact widget only to find my question was answered. I just need to update the theme. I’m fairly wet behind the ears and haven’t been able to figure out why I can’t get that done.

If I use the auto-update I recieve a “can’t remove the old theme” error. My site then goes into a planned maintenance and I have to go to my godaddy ftp and delete a .maintenance file. I decided to try and skip the auto-update and delete the old Epic folder and upload the new one. Godaddy is telling me I don’t have permission to delete the old folder.

I’m well out of my depth. Is this an issue with my theme, wordpress, or godaddy? I don’t even know what I don’t know here. Any help is appreciated.

Bill Robbins

Hello Chris,

So sorry for the trouble there. On a server, files have various permission and ownership settings. It’s likely that either the owner or file permissions are set in such a way that WordPress and you can’t modify them directly. Even with FTP.

It may be possible to correct that with FTP. Often times if you right click on an item in your FTP program you can change it’s permissions and ownership. You might try that first.

If that doesn’t work or just doesn’t feel like something you want to do yourself GoDaddy should help you out there. They would have the ability to reset those permissions to their proper values.

If you run into trouble let me know.

Thanks,
    Bill

Chris West
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll look into it. I really appreciate the quick reply.

Bill Robbins

Anytime. Let me know if they are unable to help you out.

Chris West
    Participant

Got it sorted. Thanks again! People are now happily looking at pictures of my food on instagram.

Bill Robbins

Fantastic Chris; I love food shots 🙂

Let me know if you need anything else.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Can't delete old theme’ is closed to new replies.