Button in Header – screwed up, need HELP

Support Area Forums Forward Button in Header – screwed up, need HELP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
URL to the page in question: http://helpthiskid.org/
  • Author
    Participant

Hi Bill:

Your themes are excellent and I’m really happy with how my site turned out until . . .

I’ve spent days on my site and am close to launch but obviously I’m not a programmer. I tried to follow your instructions to add a donate button in my header. The string is closed but called Button in Header. I got the button image in the header and got it to link to my site. But when I tried to move it to the right, changing the top and right px levels, I screwed something up and now my whole site shows the error in the attached url. The problem came when I couldn’t find the Theme Options page and I put the code in the Editor for the css customerizer.

I deleted the code and saved, but I’ve still lost my site. Please help.

Thanks so much.

Allison

Participant

This morning, GoDaddy told me to return to the default theme because I didn’t have any access to my account. I’m attaching the error code I got last night before I did that. Before I reinstall Forward, is there anything I need to do?

And also, so that I can move the Donate Now button image in the header to the right, what is the code and where do I place it this time?

Thanks again.

Allison

Bill Robbins

Good Morning Allison,

Sorry for the trouble there. It sounds like you may have edited a file called custom-css.php. That’s a file that takes the color options from the customizer and loads them. The best way to add a bit of CSS is in the advanced section of the customizer. It’ll load it onto the site for you without requiring you edit any of the theme files.

Here’s what you can do to restore that file. Download a fresh copy of the theme from our site and unzip it. Then go to your GoDaddy control panel and open up the file browser. Use it to browse to the wp-content/themes/forward/includes/ folder. Then you can upload the fresh copy of custom-css.php to replace the one on your server.

Then once you log back into WordPress, go to themes. Try previewing the Forward theme. If there is a problem it won’t lock you out since it isn’t active. Just make sure not to activate the theme until you are certain it previews correctly.

Then you can reposition your button by adding the CSS to the advanced section in the customizer.

Let me know if I can help,
    Bill

Participant

Thanks for your quick reply. I reverted to the default theme because I couldn’t access my site at all. So, I never had the option of just replacing the custom-css.php. Should I delete the existing copy of Forward before I upload a fresh copy?

Bill Robbins

Hi Allison,

If you’ll follow those instructions above, they’ll let you replace the misbehaving file. You don’t need to delete the existing copy of the entire theme just yet. Hopefully replacing this file will allow it to work. Just try previewing it after you’ve made the change before you activate it to make sure it is working correctly.

If I could offer a suggestion. If you need to make edits to a theme, it’ll be safest to do that in your web host’s file browser instead of the WordPress editor. The WordPress editor is convenient, but it does have the ability to lock you out of your site if something is off with a certain type of file. At least if an edit goes wrong from inside your web host’s control panel, you can undo the changes and get the site back live again.

Bill

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The topic ‘Button in Header – screwed up, need HELP’ is closed to new replies.