Blog page more bracket

Support Area Forums Live Blog page more bracket

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
URL to the page in question: http://www.healingwithjennybell.com/blog/
  • Author
    Paula Easton
    Participant

This page has Summary showing but the bracket for [more] has gibberish in it, looks like this [&hellip
    Shouldn’t it be [more
    with a link to the full text page? I can’t find a setting anywhere to fix this.

Bill Robbins

Hi Paula,

It looks like the site is running one of the earliest versions of the Live theme (version 1.3.0). If I remember correctly there was a function that had to be changed in a theme update a few years back that went with this. Let’s try this:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose functions.php
    3. Locate this spot:

// Remove . . . from excerpts
    function trim_excerpt($text) {
      return rtrim($text,'[...]');
    }
    add_filter('get_the_excerpt', 'trim_excerpt');

4. Double check that all of that was removed and nothing else accidentally was taken out (this file is very picky).
    5. Save your changes.

That should restore the default excerpt function that’s part of WordPress and hopefully that’ll remove the &hellip you’re seeing.

Let me know if you run into trouble,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

Paula,

Just delete those lines out of the functions.php file. You don’t need to replace them with anything. It’ll jus cause the site to pick up the default WordPress function instead of the one from the theme that overrides it.

What I mean by being careful is that if you miss a semi-colon or bracket for example, it’ll temporarily lock you out of the site. You’ll have to use a FTP program or your web host’s control panel to fix it. It’s not the end of the world at all, but it does lose a measure of convenience if you can’t make changes in the admin.

Happy editing,
    Bill

Bill Robbins

WordPress’ default excerpt ending does not include a link to the full post. You can customize the excerpt with a plugin like Advanced Excerpt (https://wordpress.org/plugins/advanced-excerpt/). It’s settings allow you to configure quite a bit about how the except works and how it ends. That’s what I would try first to get it just right.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Blog page more bracket’ is closed to new replies.