Adding Comments to Pages?

Support Area Forums Photobug Adding Comments to Pages?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
URL to the page in question:
  • Author
    Michael
    Participant

Hi Bill!

Firstly, I wanted to say thanks for the awesome theme. It fits my needs perfectly.

My question pertains to adding comments to static pages.

I just added a sweet About Me page to my site, and I wanted to add a comment section to it. Is there any way to achieve this?

I think I may need to edit the theme template somehow, but I don’t want to ruin anything. Could you help?

Thanks, Mike

Bill Robbins

Mike,

Thank you for your business first of all. Great question too. You can add in comments to pages. Here’s how:

1. Go to the Appearance section in your WordPress control panel and select Edit.
    2. From the list of files on your right, choose page.php and look for this spot:

<?php endwhile; ?>

3. Right above that, paste this:

4. Save your changes.

That will give you the option to have comments on your pages. The comments section will display if you have comments set to open or if people have previously left comments.

You can choose to include comments on a per-page basis. When you’re editing a page, look for the box labeled discussion. If you don’t see it, click screen options in the top right and that should add in the box for you.

If you have any questions or trouble, let me know.

Thanks again,
    Bill

Michael
    Participant

That worked perfectly Bill, thanks!

I found the screen options as well, so I’ll only be adding comments to the pages of my choice.

I did have one more question though, it’s about the comments, too.

This isn’t a huge deal, but the Comments link on my front page posts doesn’t take me down to the actual comments. I think it’s because I’m using Disqus commenting.

For example, I can click the “X number of Comments” tab under the post title, and not be taken directly to the comments. The URL extension still reads /#Comments but I am linked to the top of the post.

Again it’s not a huge deal, just something I was curious about.

Thanks for your awesome help!

Bill Robbins

Glad to hear that worked for you. If you wouldn’t mind sending over a link to your site, I can take a look and let you know what to change so the comments link takes you to the Discuss comments too.

Thanks,
    Bill

Michael
    Participant

Sure thing, here it is http://pokeflirt.com/

Bill Robbins

Mike,

Let’s do this. In the theme editor again (Appearance > Edit) choose post-meta.php from the list of files on your right. Look for this line:

<p class="comments"><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>#comments"><?php comments_number(__('Make A Comment', 'organizedthemes'), __('1 Comment', 'organizedthemes'), __('% Comments', 'organizedthemes')); ?></a></p>

and replace it with this:

and save your changes. That should make the link point to the right part of your page. Let me know if you have any trouble,
    Bill

Michael
    Participant

Perfect! Yes the edit now links me to the Disquq comments.

Thank you very much.

-Mike

Bill Robbins

No problem. Have a great weekend.

Michael
    Participant

You too Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The topic ‘Adding Comments to Pages?’ is closed to new replies.